Filipino or Philipin is a language based on Tagalog and one of the two official languages of the Philippines , along with English. Tagalog is the native language of one-third of the population of the Philippines. Especially around the capital Manila , but almost all Filipinos can also speak this language.
On November 12, 1937, the Philippines approved a law to establish a national language, based on a survey of existing indigenous languages, in order to select one of them to use as the basis for the national language. country of the Philippines. The three main candidates are Tagalog , Visayan and Ilocano.
On July 14, 1936, Surián ng Wikáng Pambansâ (National Institute of Languages) selected Tagalog as the basis of Wikang Pambansâ ("National Language") based on the following factors:
- Tagalog is widely spoken and is the easiest language to understand in all areas of the Philippines;
- This language does not include smaller branches such as Visayan or Bikol;
- It is the language used in books and literature more than any other indigenous language in the Philippines.
- This is the language of Manila — the political and economic capital of the Philippines during its dependence on Spain and the United States
- Tagalog was the language of the 1896 Revolution and the Katipunan revolution - two very important elements in Philippine history
Later, the 1973 Constitution provided for a separate national language to replace Pilipino, a language it named Filipino . However, Article XV, section 3) does not refer to Tagalog and Pilipino as the basis for Filipino.
Source from Wikipedia